Monday, December 1, 2008

Johnny Mad Dog

I can actually say that this book kept my attention the whole way through. I really enjoyed reading it, I couln't put it down. One thing that I really like about it is the way the it switches between the two characters. To me that made it alittle more easier to read. I really credit Emmanuel Dongala for that. To me this book really gave me a good picture of child soldiers. As I was reading I just couldn't believe some of the things that was going on.

First let me talk about Johnny. Maybe it was just me, but from the beginning I felt he was alittle arrogant. He had sort of a confidence like he knew everything and whatever he said was right. So that's why I really didn't like him much. Laokole's story really kept my attention. When I read about how her father was killed and what happened to her mother's legs I couldn't believe it. It was crazy to read how these people were running for their lives. One thing that I like about Laokole is that she did whatever she could to take care of her mother. I could only imagine that trauma that family along with others went through.

It's like those soldiers had know heart, they wanted to prove a point. One scene that I will not forget, is the one were the soldiers shoot that little boy while he was on his knees. I thought that was so cold blooded an innocent little boy lost his life for nothing. That was the scence that I knew that they were some cold hearted people. Overall I think this was a really good book.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

It is certainly a disturbing book. It held my attention, too.