Saturday, November 8, 2008

Waiting for an Angel

This was a good book written by Helon Habila. It was cool to read book about the way things were for the african generation in the 90's. At first it was kind of difficult to keep track of what was going on because there were different narraraters. Once I put it all together the book made alot more sense. It was interesting to read how far the African generation had come from the colonial times. From reading the book I realized that times were still hard for them, but it was some what of a progress from where they were.

One character that I will not forget is Bola. Reading about his story was really touching. I could only imagine how it feels to lose your mother, father, and sister in a terrible accident. That was enough to make anyone go insane. A tragedy like that can really take a tole on the psychologically, that a hard blow all at once. You knew something was wrong when he was arrested, because the police beat him until they realized he wasn't all there. In a way I think Bola's situation took a tole on Lomba.

I also thought that Lomba and Alice had a very intersting relationship. In the beginning I thought they really had something, but once I read the part were Lomba went to her home and was introduced to her boyfriend I thought that was kind of crazy. I kind of wonder if what happen between them could have had something to do with him dropping out of school. It's hard for me to put into words the kind of person Alice was judging the reading. I kind of wished it could have worked out for them, but everything does happen for a reason. Overall I enjoyed this book and think that Helon Habila is a wonderful writer.

2 comments:

Bdecator said...

I agree that the book made more sense once we talked about it. The time slip kind of lost me. Nice blog.

Katthoms said...

I liked their relationship too, it was sort of a cliche teen movie. Boy likes girl, girl has boyfriend, boy still pursue's girl, girl almost gives in, boy screws up.